Website DC Abortion Fund (DCAF)
ABOUT DC ABORTION FUND
The DC Abortion Fund (DCAF) is a local abortion fund founded in 1995 that serves over 6,000 people annually who live or are seeking abortion care in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Since inception, our organization has grown tremendously, mostly notably in the size and function of our case management program, which is comprised of over 50 volunteers who rotate responsibility of four “warm lines” and coordinate care and funds to callers seeking abortions.
DCAF is in a period of significant growth and change. In the past year, we brought on our first paid staff members; are working to build a collaborative vision for future abortion funding with other regional funds; and are navigating a post-Dobbs landscape. Simultaneously, we constantly strive to live and embody our reproductive justice values and center our callers and communities most impacted by abortion care restrictions – Black, Indigenous, and brown folks and people with low or no incomes.
ABOUT THE ROLE
DCAF seeks a Communications Manager with high levels of initiative and creativity, as well as exceptional organizational and execution skills, to build DCAF’s profile among stakeholders. This role will lead the development and implementation of a strategic communications plan; manage digital and analog communications; and develop messaging and communications that build relationships with callers, the community, national and local partner organizations, and donors. The Communications Manager should enjoy working in a small, entrepreneurial, mission-focused, and community-oriented organization. The Communications Manager will work closely with both the Operations and Strategy Director and the Development Director and report directly to the latter.
Advocacy and Community and Media Engagement (approximately 35% of position)
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan to raise DCAF’s profile among those in need of abortion services, donors, advocates, members of the DC, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) community, and other stakeholders
- Create content including news releases, official testimony, letters to the editors, op-eds, blogs, and messaging documents for publication and/or internal use
- Respond to and manage speaking requests for DCAF staff and board members (panels, discussions, advocacy events, etc.)
- Respond to and coordinate media requests and draft talking points and message guidance
- Build relationships with local reporters and media outlets
- Stay up-to-date with local and national reproductive rights news and proactively pitch potential stories, op-eds, or interviews to media to elevate DCAF’s profile
Donor Engagement (approximately 20% of position)
In collaboration with the Development Director:
- Craft and disseminate communications to existing donors and supporters, including individuals, foundations, and other entities
- Draft and disseminate fundraising messaging and donor solicitations
- Develop collateral including but not limited to the DCAF annual report, donor reports, and fundraising appeals
- Lead the communications strategy for and support the planning and execution of DCAF fundraisers, including spring Fund-a-thon, Taco or Bev, Giving Tuesday, DCAF Holiday Party, and fundraisers given by individuals, local businesses, or other entities
Social Media and Online Engagement (approximately 20% of position)
- Create social media content and strategies that engage DCAF stakeholders
- Build DCAF’s networks by engaging on social media platforms, building connections, and amplifying partner organization’s social media content
- Work collaboratively with consultants and DCAF staff to plan, build, and roll out a new DCAF website
Brand Development and Maintenance (approximately 15% of position)
- Work collaboratively with consultants and DCAF staff to plan and roll out a DCAF brand redesign, including all associated collateral
- Maintain DCAF’s voice, language, and style guide, brand guide, and other values-aligned assets in all messaging, communications, campaigns, and social media
Other Tasks (approximately 10% of position)
- Participation in staff meetings, retreats, and/or trainings; movement conferences; and partner meetings and convenings
- Attend professional development and management trainings as part of ongoing learning and education
- Other duties as assigned, within reason
Read more and apply here: https://dcabortionfund.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/DCAF-Communications-Manager-.pdf
To apply for this job please visit dcabortionfund.org.