Director, General Audience Publicity (Hybrid)
Department: Corporate Communications
Corporate Area: Corporate Communications
Supervisor: Vice President, General Audience Publicity
Lead the strategy, development, and implementation of external communications to support PBS’s general audience content and provide support for PBS’s reputation and executive visibility. The Director reports to the Vice President, General Audience (GA) Publicity and works closely with the General Audience publicity team and the larger Corporate Communications department.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Direct PBS General Audience publicity campaigns with oversight of communications strategies, budgets, agency staff resources and final reporting for PBS primetime priority programs.
- Manage relationships with notable on-camera talent and/or producers including any partner agencies, managers, or agents in support of their priority programs.
- Cultivate and maintain strong national media relationships with relevant consumer and trade press. Review media lists for accuracy.
- Work closely with colleagues in PBS programming, marketing, education and digital areas, as well as program producers, outside partner agencies and member station communications staff, to bring together efforts in support of initiatives.
- Draft publicity materials including PR plans, press releases, show descriptions, talking points, bios, event remarks, executive briefing documents, etc.
- Working with PBS marketing team and external agency partners, facilitate the design, creation and final execution of press kits and influencer mailers for priority programs.
- Collaborate with the Corporate Communications team to develop campaigns and narratives that help tell the PBS story and position PBS as a forward-leaning media organization.
- Direct publicity efforts and offer strategic counsel for organizational initiatives and special projects.
- Oversee assistant directors and track their day-to-day workflows, review materials, and provide strategic guidance.
- Produce sessions for PBS’s portion of the Television Critics Association Press Tour and support overall Press Tour logistics as needed.
- Working with Director, Event Strategy & Production, assist in the production of media, fan screening and influencer events (both on-site and virtually) for PBS priority programs.
- Monitor and respond to incoming press inquiries via the PR inbox in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- 8+ years of public relations experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field
- Experience working in media (TV, Radio or Film)Record of direct responsibility for media relations
- Excellent knowledge and awareness of TV, entertainment and digital media industries, including top TV and digital press
- Proven ability to generate media coverage; must be able to develop new relationships with press and be adept at pitching
- Experience working with executives at all levels of the organization, including senior management
- Experience managing external PR agencies or consultants
- Experience managing 1-2 public relations staff
- Experience working and collaborating across internal departments, especially with marketing, creative and social media teams
- Excellent writing, editing and proofing skills and the ability to handle media requests for time sensitive information promptly and efficiently
- Ability to draft media comments with sound judgement and care
- Proven ability to manage multiple, complex projects and priorities simultaneously
- Ability to work well under intense deadline pressure
- Adept at taking initiative/leading projects, anticipating next steps and identifying controversies
- Experience with managing large budgets, including monthly and quarterly reconciliation
- A track record of project management expertise
- Excellent word processing and computer skills
- Knowledge of basic Web-related software packages, including CMS
- Ability to understand PBS’s unique local/national model and positioning in the larger media landscape
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingbypaycor.com.