Website Spark the Journey
Igniting paths to economic mobility
Who We Are
Spark the Journey is a nonprofit organization that provides mentorship and a community of support for young adults to chart their own paths to achieving college and career success. Spark the Journey is continuing Capital Partners for Education’s legacy and is growing into a national community. Today, Spark the Journey supports more than 500 mentees as they enter young adulthood. Spark the Journey’s unique mentorship approach fosters long-lasting relationships between mentors and mentees as young adults choose and pursue the education, career path, or personal goals they want to achieve—with a community of support behind them.
About the Role
The Communications Specialist supports Spark the Journey’s overall efforts to increase the visibility and reach of the organization, engage current and new supporters, and enhance our ability to communicate about its work. This role is responsible for collecting and creating materials for a variety of communications campaigns and opportunities for media outreach. Through writing, editing, and social media engagement, this person will support the achievement of the Communications team’s goals and the broader organizational mission. The Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Communications and Marketing. The director of this department is looking for someone who has strengths in two key areas: writing thought leadership pieces and developing/managing marketing campaigns (email and on social media).
Writing and Editing
- Engage audiences by integrating written and graphic materials into thoughtful, targeted storytelling opportunities.
- Write and edit blog posts for Spark the Journey: the Quarterly newsletter, op-eds, letters, and other outlets as needed.
- Collect and share stories from mentors, students, alumni, and other stakeholders.
- Create, develop, and update messaging materials as part of communications and strategic campaign strategies
- Provide editing support across Spark’s teams to ensure all materials are meeting Spark the Journey’s standards of work.
- Develop a media list, manage outreach to targeted journalists and other media personas, and share results with the Communications Specialist to inform strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and national reporters who focus on issues related to Spark’s mission.
- Manage all social media platforms, including monitoring, moderating, and responding to audience comments.
- Create content for the CEO’s Twitter and LinkedIn feeds to raise his visibility in the community and further establish him as a thought leader in the non-profit space.
- Research events and forums for Spark’s participation to increase the organization’s visibility and engagement.
- Manage the communications project tracker and testimonial library, ensuring all documents are kept up to date.
- Attend Programs and Development events to take photos and collect stories of students, mentors, families, alumni, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Communications Specialist to create, edit, and distribute content through third-party software.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-5 years of experience
- Enthusiasm for the power of social media engagement; familiarity with non-profit environments a plus
- Ability to manage multiple social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and the like)
- Excellent written, analytical, and research skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects
- Detail-oriented, with strong problem-solving and organizational skills
- Ability to create materials with creativity and high standards
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within and across teams
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Interest in Spark’s mission to serve low-income and first-generation-to-college students obtain a college degree and career-readiness skills
- Photography, videography, and graphic design skills are a plus
We are not able to sponsor employment visas for this position. Applicants for this position should be legally able to work full time in the United States for 12 months.
This position is primarily a sedentary role. However, the person in this position will need to respond to emails, chat messages, and audio/visual communications, and may need to occasionally move about inside the office to liaise with internal team members, access files, and use office machinery such as a copier/printer.
How You Will Be Compensated
The starting salary for this position is $50,300-$62,900 annually. If you receive an offer, it may be anywhere within this range depending on the skills and knowledge brought to the role.
To counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, Spark uses a non-negotiable salary system. Our goal is to offer a competitive salary that also meets our equity guidelines. Rather than negotiating, we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with Flexible Spending Account options, effective the first day of the month following employment
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching of 3%
- Life and disability insurance with premiums fully funded by Spark
- 15 days of paid vacation in each of the first two years; 20 days in subsequent years
- Office closed on national and state holidays and between December 24-January 1
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, SPARK is currently operating on a 100% remote work policy with a planned return-to-office. At that time, the person in this role will be expected to reside in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
To apply for this job please visit sparkthejourney.bamboohr.com.