About Tahirih: The Tahirih Justice Center is a national, nonprofit organization that serves women, girls, and all immigrant survivors of gender-based violence. Our interdisciplinary, trauma-informed model of service combines free legal and social services with bridge-building policy advocacy and research-based training and education. Our programs efficiently and effectively leverage donated professional services from a vast network of attorneys, medical professionals, and other experts to serve as many immigrant survivors as possible. By amplifying the experiences of survivors in communities, courts, and Congress, Tahirih’s mission is to create a world in which all people share equal rights and live in safety and with dignity. [Learn more about Tahirih’s Values, including our Commitment to Anti-Racism.]
Position Summary: Tahirih is seeking a Communications Coordinator/Writer to play a key role in engaging, cultivating, and growing the audiences for Tahirih’s work. You will work with the Communications Team, as well as staff across the organization, to develop content and coordinate communications projects and deliverables related to Tahirih programs, initiatives, projects, and events for use across a range of distribution channels. The position will report to the Director of Communications and will play a key role in advancing efforts to position Tahirih as a leading voice and expert on issues relating to immigration, asylum, and gender-based violence.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and distribute compelling content that reflects the Tahirih voice and is consistent with the organization’s messaging and brand guidelines.
- Develop and successfully manage project plans and timelines to drive key communications projects to completion.
- Elevate Tahirih’s thought leadership by creating relevant and engaging content for our key audiences
- Support Tahirih’s program, policy, and fundraising initiatives by drafting, editing, and/or proofreading copy for a variety of communications projects, including social media content, email campaigns, web posts, blogs, newsletters, fact sheets, reports, etc.
- Monitor the editorial process to ensure all content reflects Tahirih’s voice, is consistent with Tahirih messaging, stylistic guidelines, and meets high standards of quality.
- Coordinate the production of print and digital communications projects, including brochures, reports, email campaigns, direct mailings, etc., and collaborate with outside vendors when applicable.
- Coordinate with and support local offices with conceptualizing, drafting, and distributing newsletters and other key communications to local audiences and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with event teams to ensure the timely delivery of quality communications deliverables in support of our signature fundraising events.
- Lead content creation processes from idea to execution, ensuring all internal and external deadlines are met, key stakeholders contribute meaningfully and adhere to timelines, and that the final product meets Tahirih’s standard of excellence.
Required Qualifications include:
- Deep understanding and analysis of racism and oppression, and a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Alignment with Tahirih’s values and commitment to our mission, clients, and nonpartisan advocacy style.
- Ability to quickly learn and embody an organization’s voice and write in that voice in different formats for different audiences
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and translate complex policy ideas to broader, non-policy audiences.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, particularly writing and editing on a deadline.
- At least 3 years of increasing content creation and project management responsibilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time, sometimes under competing deadlines.
- Solutions-oriented, with an eagle-eye attention to detail.
- Nimble, someone who can think strategically at a high level while also being able to be “in the weeds” at the same time.
- Can work independently and collaboratively, depending on project or team needs.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Familiarity with issues related to immigration, asylum, and gender-based violence preferred.
- Previous experience with Canva (or similar design platform), WordPress (or similar platform), and basic knowledge of HTML preferred.
Location: This position is based in Tahirih’s Falls Church, VA office.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $55,000 – $65,000. Generous benefits include fully paid employee health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance; self-managed paid time off including a week of paid leave between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day; fully paid parental leave; a family-friendly and flexible work environment; a 401(k) defined contribution plan; and professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this role, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two (non-academic) writing samples.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.