Virginia Tech would like to invite applicants for the position of:
Job Announcement: Assistant Director, Media Relations
Virginia Tech is seeking a leader who recognizes a good news story, understands the news business, and gets energized by the opportunity to help journalists learn about the research and faculty expertise on our campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements the university’s central media relations strategy, with a focus on elevating Virginia Tech’s leadership, faculty expertise, research discoveries, and student achievements
- The Assistant Director reports to the Director for Media Relations and D.C. Area communications and collaborates with colleagues across the university to find and facilitate national media and high impact regional and local media opportunities
- Regularly interviews faculty members, writes tip sheets and advisories; develops targeted media lists and pitches stories. She/he works across all of Virginia Tech’s campuses to engage in message preparation and training, facilitating the needs of visiting media on campus
- Manages news conference, editorial meetings and other media events and opportunities as needed
- Maintains a flexible work schedule, responsive to the needs of media outlets and broadcast schedules. Occasional night and weekend assignments are likely. Occasional travel may be required for media training, news events, and other opportunities
- Manages and schedules the Media Relations Broadcast Studio and facilitates the production of live and recorded television, broadcast, and video interviews with faculty experts in the studio and via online platforms (Zoom, Skype, etc.) and emerging channels
Virginia Tech is an EOE employer.
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com.