The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Founded in 1949, the Institute drives change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most important challenges facing the United States and the world.
The Aspen Tech Policy Hub is a West Coast policy incubator, training a new generation of science and tech policy entrepreneurs. We take science and tech experts, teach them the policy process through fellowship and training programs, and encourage them to develop outside-the-box solutions to society’s problems. We model ourselves after tech incubators like Y Combinator, but train new policy thinkers and focus the impact of their ideas.
To date, we have trained over 200 scientists and technologists through our fellowship and training programs. Our trainees have already made a considerable impact on STEM policy, from advising county governments of coastal communities on mitigating the effects of sea-level rise, to proposing amendments to the California Consumer Privacy Act, to advising the City of New York on how to improve the provision of broadband services to help close the digital divide. The Aspen Tech Policy Hub is a part of Aspen Digital, an Institute program that empowers policy-makers, civic organizations, companies, and the public to be responsible stewards of technology and media in the service of an informed, just, and equitable world.
We are looking for an early career events and communications coordinator who has exceptional writing, organizational, and design skills to help manage our events and communications at the Hub. The Events/Communications Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing external communications as well as events management for the Aspen Tech Policy Hub. The Coordinator will work closely with our Director, Deputy Director, Program Manager, Program Assistant, and our part-time design staff.
The Events/Communications Coordinator will work closely with the small Hub team and will benefit from close mentorship from Hub and Aspen Digital leadership. The Coordinator will also attend most Hub training program sessions, giving them exposure to critical skills in policy advocacy and policymaking, and the opportunity to hear from exciting guest speakers and policy leaders.
The ideal candidate is a multi-talented, early career professional who has a passion for handling a wide range of communications and events tasks; is creative and eager to learn on the job; is a strong writer and communicator; has some experience in graphic design; is excited about balancing multiple, often simultaneous, activities; and has extremely high standards for the quality of his/her work. The role is a good fit for candidates seeking experience in the wide range of skills and capabilities needed to manage and operate a quickly growing organization and to learn more about the policy space.
Qualified candidates must demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills, superior organizational skills, strong design skills, impeccable attention to detail, and the ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment. Experience with operational systems such as Airtable, Google Workspace, and Microsoft Office is preferred, as is experience with design programs such as Figma, Canva, and Adobe Suite. Critical thinking skills are also essential, as is the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
External Communications (50%)
- Manage communications strategy for events or publication releases, working to draft press releases, manage press inquiries, and conduct outreach to relevant stakeholders;
- Manage communications strategy for recruitment of Hub programmings, conducting outreach to interested candidates;
- Manage Hub communications by sourcing and crafting content for the Hub’s social media accounts, including Twitter, LinkedIn, and any new platforms;
- Design and prepare emails, newsletters and reports for Hub supporters that showcase Hub accomplishments, promote recruitment for Hub programs, and increase attendance for Hub events;
- Build and maintain media lists for the Hub and assist in outreach to reporters;
- Conduct media scans and analysis of relevant articles and mentions of the Hub or close partners; and
Prepare written content for the Hub’s website.
Events Management (30%)
- Plan and execute Hub events, including securing venues, drafting staffing plans and runs-of-show, managing back-end Zoom logistics for virtual programs, and post-event follow up; and
- Coordinate and manage event vendors, such as catering, rentals, and A/V.
Design Support (20%)
- Collaborate with other design resources (such as contracted web developers and layout designers) to deliver digital and print assets;
- Create logos, icons, infographics, and Twitter cards for use in communications materials; and
Place final copy of communications products into existing Figma and InDesign templates.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 1-2 years of professional work experience, including experience with either communications and/or events management;
- Passion for events management, creative problem-solving skills, and strong attention to detail;
Superior attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Excellent computer skills, specifically, expertise with: Microsoft Office and Google Workspace products;
- Polished interpersonal skills;
- Interest in learning about policy and contributing to a policy non-profit; and
- A desire to learn, sense of humor, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
- Experience organizing in-person and virtual events, including managing vendors and utilizing Zoom;
- Experience with social media platforms Twitter and LinkedIn;
- Experience sending mass emails through platforms such as iContact;
- Experience with graphic design;
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite, Figma, Canva, and other design programs;
- Knowledge of Airtable, customer relationship management software, and task management systems
Salary: $60,000-75,000, commensurate with experience.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidates must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidates must also have the ability to meet regular attendance policies of the Aspen Institute.
To apply for this job please visit aspeninstitute.hrmdirect.com.