Salary Range: $45,000.00 To 50,000.00 Annually
Do you have a passion for telling the stories of animals and the people who love them? HRA is looking for a Social Media Specialist to help us share the amazing work we do every day to honor the human-animal bond. A storyteller at heart, the Social Media Specialist creates and manages content for the social media channels of the Humane Rescue Alliance (DC) and St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center (NJ).
Through an engaging and inclusive content strategy, the Social Media Specialist will reinforce and grow the already strong brand of HRA and St. Hubert’s. HRA’s work is so much more than sheltering and adoptions. From pet food pantries, lost pet reunification, and veterinary medical assistance to humane law enforcement, behavior & training, and animal relocation programs, HRA serves as a national leader and local champion for all animals. Join our team as the Social Media Specialist and help tell the stories of our animals, our people, and our communities.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Social Media Specialist is responsible for developing and driving content strategy, as well as managing content creation and storytelling for the social media channels of the Humane Rescue Alliance and St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center. The Social Media Specialist will spend 80% of their time managing the social media needs of Humane Rescue Alliance and 20% with St. Hubert’s.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage content creation, distribution, and community engagement for HRA’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, and YouTube.
- Develop and execute social media plans to support high priority communications and fundraising campaigns, events, and grant opportunities.
- Support the Director of Communications at HRA’s sister shelter, St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center, with social promotion, content creation, and other digital needs.
- Prioritize inclusive storytelling highlighting staff, volunteers, our community and the human-animal bond.
- Respond to urgent situations that require photography and video coverage, including HRA’s humane law enforcement cases.
- Provide support and proactive planning on rapid response or crisis communications.
- Develop and manage a cross-channel content editorial calendar that supports the strategic plans of HRA and St. Hubert’s.
- Support ongoing collaborative efforts with regional and national organizations; support collaboration and execution of content campaigns with corporate partners.
- Collaborate with creative content producers, including outside photography and graphic design contractors.
- Capture and analyze social media data/metrics, insights, and best practices to measure the success of every social media campaign; use that information to refine future campaigns; report on successes/insights monthly.
- Collaborate with the Development team on annual campaigns and events, as well as participating in strategic planning for emergency campaigns to support the funding of HRA’s mission.
- Always represent HRA in a professional and courteous manner. Provide quality service to the public, volunteers, and employees recognizing their individual contributions to the success of the organization.
- Stay up to date on industry best practices and adjust content strategy as necessary.
Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including writing and proofreading, as well as a knowledge of digital and social trends.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation. Ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and professionally with a variety of individuals representing the public, board members, volunteers, donors, and employees.
- Ability to seek out compelling stories within our organization, demonstrate a strong visual storytelling ability, while encouraging a culture of storytelling.
- Creative and flexible, ready to create content that will both engage HRA’s current audience as well as expand reach to new potential supporters and adopters.
- Ability to work independently, but also to work collaboratively – fostering teamwork and addressing conflict constructively and timely.
- Strong time and project management skills, ability to be flexible, problem solve, manage shifting priorities and meet deadlines, while paying keen attention to detail.
- Comfortable with a hybrid in-shelter and work from home environment.
- Must have a strong desire to help animals and people, and commitment to life-saving programs and services.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn animal shelter procedures and protocols.
- Ability to manage the emotional aspect of work in an animal shelter environment in a positive professional manner.
- Racial equity and inclusion experience, skills, and values.
- Passion for the Humane Rescue Alliance mission, for caring for all animals regardless of age, breed, temperament or species, and supporting and educating members of the public, free of judgment or bias.
- Interest in video storytelling; preference for candidates with production experience including managing vendors and contractors, video script development, storyboards, scheduling video shoots, creating shot lists, conducting interviews, filming, and editing.
- The Humane Rescue Alliance seeks candidates with a variety of professional expertise, cultural backgrounds, spectrum of life experiences, and geographic reach.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment.
- Ability to be comfortable working around cats, dogs, small animals, reptiles, fish, and wildlife.
- Due to the nature of shelter work, may be exposed to deceased, fractious, or aggressive animals; common allergens; hostile or irate persons; zoonotic or other diseases; unpleasant noises, odors, or sights; and extreme temperatures.
- Occasional evening/weekend work required, in regards to key campaigns and events.
Education and Experience:
Our ideal candidate will have 2-3 years of professional experience in content creation and storytelling, at least 1 year of strategic brand social media management and experience with video production, filming, and editing.
Multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. A salary premium may be offered for multilingual candidates who demonstrate proficiency in written and oral testing.
HRA is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, gender, religion, national origin, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, citizenship status, or sexual orientation. Accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals requiring them.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.