About the Organization
SkyTruth is a conservation technology nonprofit that inspires people to protect the planet by using satellite imagery, big data, and the latest technological innovations to reveal environmentally damaging actions and make their impacts visible and measurable. Since its founding in 2000, countless organizations around the world have used SkyTruth’s products to hold polluters accountable for harmful activities that would otherwise remain hidden from view.
Mission: Sharing the view from space to promote conservation for people and the planet.
Vision: Everyone around the world enjoys a healthy environment and sustainable livelihood because transparency is the norm: polluters know they will be seen and caught, industries have cleaned up their practices, and governments are vigorously enforcing environmental protection.
SkyTruth’s Flagship Projects
Cerulean and Verdant apply artificial intelligence to analyze satellite imagery at scale. Cerulean automates the near real-time detection of oil pollution at sea, from cargo ships and tankers as well as oil and gas platforms, and identifies the polluters. Verdant automatically detects changes in landscapes and ecosystems that signify threats to biodiversity and human wellbeing.
For more information about SkyTruth and our projects, please visit our website.
About the Position
SkyTruth received a major three-year grant in late 2021, positioning us to expand our staff and turbocharge our impact. We are seeking an experienced Communications Manager to develop and coordinate communications activities for this quickly growing organization. The Communications Manager will manage the development of SkyTruth’s external communications strategy and lead strategy implementation, with a focus on communicating outputs associated with our research, technology, and data products. The Manager will be an expert writer/editor, a highly organized professional, and a savvy communicator of complex technical information to non-expert audiences. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned communications professional with the ability to expand the audience of SkyTruth’s products through digital strategies and media relations. This Manager will report to the Director of Impact and Strategic Partnerships.
- Manage the development of the external communications strategy, under supervision of the Director of Impact and Strategic Partnerships and in close collaboration with other members of the senior leadership team, to position SkyTruth as a global thought leader on conservation technology and to identify the best ways to engage and inspire SkyTruth’s target audiences.
- Lead implementation of the external communications strategy and lead creation of communications products (website content, press releases, blogs, opinion pieces, data visualization, video content, and printed materials).
- Develop and implement communications and PR plans that support the launch and ongoing promotion of key products, such as Cerulean, with a focus on increasing product utilization by target user groups around the world.
- Collaborate with partners, including environmental organizations, research institutions, and technology providers, to strategically communicate SkyTruth’s products, consistent with SkyTruth’s vision and partners’ visions while maintaining SkyTruth’s credibility.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external experts to ensure the accuracy of SkyTruth’s communications content.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with reporters, editorial writers, and producers with a focus on science, technology, climate, and conservation.
- Arrange media interviews for spokespersons, producing talking points and preparing interviewees and respond to media inquiries and, as needed, be available for communications tasks outside of working hours on a reasonable basis and coordinate responses.
- Evaluate and refine SkyTruth’s digital strategy to optimize usage of online channels.
- Work with digital, multimedia and graphic design consultants to develop infographics, videos and other materials that help achieve program goals.
- Track and evaluate the success of the external communications strategy and make recommendations to enhance future performance.
- Develop and maintain an informed awareness of relevant topics to effectively carry out all of the activities listed above.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Attributes and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 5 years of direct experience in positions with communications responsibilities; experience as a science communications professional and/or science or technology journalist preferred.
- Proven track record of developing and delivering high profile, integrated communications strategies.
- Experience supporting or leading development of mission-driven organization’s communications strategy.
- Experience in all aspects of communications delivery, from PR and media outreach to revents-coordination and social media.
- Excellent oral communication, writing and editing skills, with ease in expressing complex concepts and issues in a clear, effective manner for general audiences and scientists alike.
- Demonstrated experience in conceiving, creating and/or project managing the development of visual content, notably data visualizations, graphics and video.
- Ability to quickly form robust working relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Displays high motivation and self-reliance with excellent organization skills; able to work effectively under time constraints.
- Demonstrated experience working autonomously, with the ability to identify and create new and compelling content opportunities.
- Proficient with G suite (e.g., docs, slides, sheets).
- Experience using content management systems; familiarity with WordPress is a plus
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to work effectively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, organize time and identify resources for projects as needed.
- Strong commitment to accuracy and keen attention to detail.
- Possess a proactive attitude to solving problems with a diplomatic approach to communications with colleagues.
- Highly proficient in English language.
- Experience collaborating with a cross-sectional team of technical and non-technical team members in technology product development environment.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, other digital and design programs, and media tracking tools.
- Track record of using social and digital media to gain coverage and increase news and PR reach.
- Previous experience in scientific and/or technical writing.
- Proficiency in another language.
- Previous experience working remotely or in a globally distributed team.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position with an expected salary range of $75,000 – $100,000, depending on skills and experience. SkyTruth offers a robust benefits package that includes a range of health insurance options and a retirement plan with a generous match.
SkyTruth is a fully remote organization working across multiple time zones, so working hours may vary according to geography, operational, and personal needs. While this role can be based anywhere, the candidate must be able to reliably accommodate meetings across North American time zones. Periodic domestic and international travel may be necessary to participate in conferences, presentations, and meetings. In-person meetings will resume when safe to do so given the COVID-19 pandemic.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
The staff and leadership of SkyTruth believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as an organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of SkyTruth and our partners, vendors, suppliers, and contractors. Your skills and experiences are needed here!
Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15, 2022. Please include links to websites, news articles, blog posts, videos, podcasts, or other media created by and/or featuring you.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com