Website TaxFoundation Tax Foundation
About the Tax Foundation
The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity.
About the Role
Tax Foundation’s marketing and communications team seeks a Communications Manager to help make complex tax policy research and analysis compelling and accessible to the media and public.
Day-to-day responsibilities include earning coverage in top regional, national, and international outlets; drafting and pitching op-eds; crafting talking points for staff; training experts on best practices for interviews with the media; overseeing our Editor and helping preserve the nonpartisan strength of our written voice; and assisting with long-term strategies for growing Tax Foundation’s brand and reach.
The successful candidate will be an excellent written and verbal communicator, have a track record of placing stories in national and local outlets, and have healthy relationships with reporters on the tax, economics, or related beats. The right candidate must be a creative thinker with a passion for communication and for Tax Foundation’s mission of improving lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity.
The Communications Manager will report to our Vice President for Marketing and Communications and manage one direct report. Tax Foundation operates on a weekly hybrid schedule of three days in the office and two days remote. A fully remote arrangement may be considered for the right candidate.
- Cultivate personal relationships with journalists at key outlets, maintain and grow media lists, and actively monitor the media landscape, finding new and creative ways to break through the noise
- Generate earned media and strengthen Tax Foundation’s brand by distributing press releases, pitching on timely topics, securing TV and radio interviews for our experts, and raising the profile of Tax Foundation’s president
- Help grow Tax Foundation’s coverage and strengthen its brand abroad, especially in the EU, as we establish ourselves there
- Cultivate experts to be effective communicators, including leading annual trainings and routine interview prep
- Draft talking points and internal memos for use by Tax Foundation staff in promoting our work
- Track key media metrics, derive actionable insights, and produce routine reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Generate ideas for engaging op-eds and help in their writing, editing, and placement
- Directly manage, oversee, and cultivate Tax Foundation’s Editor, helping them streamline the editorial process and serve as an authority on Tax Foundation’s written voice
Qualifications and Skills
- 5-7 years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field
- Expertise in communicating complex ideas in a clear and convincing way for a wide range of audiences
- Proven track record of successfully pitching reporters and producers, with a preference for having worked with economic, tax, or related topics
- Ability to work independently, with a team, and under pressure
- Experience managing direct report(s) preferred
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, Tax Foundation’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Outreach Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: Stephanie@talentmarket.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.
To apply for this job please visit talentmarket.org.