Website National Geographic Society
The Senior Manager, Digital Content is a creative, editorial professional who manages the strategy and production of the National Geographic Society’s digital editorial content across the Content and Editorial team’s distribution channels. This includes the conception, project management, and delivery of various types of editorial content experiences across NatGeo.org, NatGeo.com, YouTube, as well as coordination with Social, Brand Multimedia, and other teams to implement a cohesive editorial vision in support of the Society’s mission. This position reports to the Senior Director, Digital & Social Content.
- Oversee digital content strategy and operations, including regular content updates, expansion, and maintenance for the Society’s web presence on NationalGeographic.com (the “Impact section”), OutOfEdenWalk.org, and the Society’s YouTube channel. (30%)
- Manage the production of Explorer “Impact story” articles to highlight and elevate the work of Explorers and Explorer-led programs in alignment with and in support of Society priorities, especially “Enterprise-Wide Moments.” Oversee content development pipeline from ideation to distribution, including intake, editing, and scheduling. Manage, assign, and delegate work to a Digital Content Producer in support of both NatGeo.com, NatGeo.org, and OutofEdenWalk.org content development and production. (30%)
- Collaborate with peers and stakeholders at National Geographic Partners/Disney to represent the Content and Editorial team’s needs in product roadmaps. (10%)
- Measure and evaluate the success of the aforementioned tasks, and tailor strategy (especially for the Impact section, Impact stories, and YouTube) to support further engagement with the Society across channels. (10%)
- Contribute to Social Media strategies to support overall NGS Digital Content production priorities. (10%)
- Develop and maintain the Society’s brand voice in editorial content; ensure consistency and appropriateness of voice across channels. (10%)
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Minimum Years of Experience
5 years of experience creating and leading digital content efforts; 3 years managing content producers.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Deep understanding of social media and digital content creation with an audience-centric and omni-channel approach.
- Strong creative and narrative ability to craft compelling stories using text and imagery.
- Keen understanding of journalism practices as well as knowledge of current trends in content.
- Ability to prioritize workflows with a strong attention to detail and strong project management skills.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills and ability to work with individuals and groups at all levels.
- Strong understanding of media usage rights and asset management.
- Experience in a variety of Content Management Systems (CMS), digital analytics platforms, and other digital content publishing tools.
- Google Workspace, Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Humility and creativity, with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to work cohesively and collaboratively across teams.
- An entrepreneurial spirit to support a growing team and flexibility to adjust processes as needed.
- Ambitious, enthusiastic, resourceful, and eager to contribute ideas and encourage conversation and collaboration.
- Experience managing freelancers in a creative environment.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Experience developing compelling stories and assets to support fundraising efforts.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, under deadlines, with changing priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced, environment.
- A demonstrated interest in illuminating and protecting the wonder of our world.
One direct report.
As a leading nonprofit organization, National Geographic Society offers competitive salary and total rewards to attract, develop, and retain an innovative and dynamic workforce.
The salary range for this position starts at $105,000.
Hybrid – At the Society, we believe in the advantages of coming together to build community, mentor and learn from colleagues, and connect more deeply with our mission. As a result, the majority of our staff are Hybrid. Our Hybrid category requires that staff work at Base Camp two days each week: every Tuesday and Wednesday. Hybrid staff are also always welcome to come in additional days each week if they prefer.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.
To apply for this job please visit ngs.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.