WWPR President Message
WWPR Welcomes 2012 Board
Articles of Interest
Starting off 2012, we must first say thank you to Kendra Kojcsich, our 2011 president.
Kendra has served on the WWPR board for the past six years. From day one, her impact
was immediately felt. Her leadership ensured that our events covered hot topics
and she established year-long partnerships with other DC-based professional organizations.
Through Kendra’s dedication last year proved a tremendous boon to WWPR:
* Membership is at an all time high;
* Sponsorship program is the strongest it has ever been in WWPR’s history;
* Signature events elevated strong women in our industry;
* Communication vehicles were updated to be valuable resources for members; and
* High caliber speakers were featured at WWPR events – from NASA to the White House
and top media personalities
Kendra set WWPR on a forward path as an organization and I look forward to working
with you all to continue to strengthen WWPR as a resource, connector, and supporter
of women in this industry.
I am honored to serve as your president this year. The 2012 WWPR board and I will
work hard to deliver quality networking opportunities, high profile signature events,
and launch a few exciting new developments! Stay tuned for a great year.
If you have any questions, comments or ideas find us at @WWPR, Facebook.com/WashingtonWomeninPR, WWPR on LinkedIn or email me directly at email@example.com.
I look forward to seeing you at future events!
Tina McCormack Beaty
On January 25, WWPR celebrated the induction of its 2012 Board at the WWPR Annual
Meeting and Luncheon. It was a chance for past president Kendra Kojcsich to welcome
the incoming president, Tina McCormack Beaty, who previously served as WWPR’s 2011
vice president and 2010 pro bono co-chair.
The 2012 WWPR Board of Directors includes:
President – Tina McCormack Beaty, Porter Novelli
Vice President – Margie Newman, Pew Center on the States
Past President – Kendra Kojcsich, Porter Novelli
Treasurer – Sherri Core, Core Association Services, Inc.
Secretary – Veronica Brown, Gibraltar Assoc. LLC
Membership Chair – Leslie Rutledge, RedEgg
Pro Bono Co-Chair – Kate Barrett, NEA
Pro Bono Co-Chair – Maria Ibañez, NASHP
PR Woman of the Year Co-Chair – Susie Tappouni, ASCO
PR Woman of the Year Co-Chair – Amy Malerba Hemingway, Edelman
Emerging Leaders Award Co-Chair – Helen Mitternight, Vanguard Communications
Emerging Leaders Award Co-Chair – Lauren Smith, Jones Public Affairs
Sponsorship/Partnership Chair – Season Solorio, National Cattleman’s Beef Assoc.
Marketing Communications Co-Chair – Jennifer Dunn, Business Wire
Marketing Communications Co-Chair – Kristen Hostetter, Rock Recovery
Professional Development Chair – Kari Hudnell, CommunicationWorks
Website Chair – Janiré Hopkins, CareMetx
Attendees also enjoyed lunch and a keynote by former Clinton campaign advisor for both Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton and current global head of public affairs and managing director of Porter Novelli, Kiki McLean. Kiki shared great insight into the unique challenges facing women in the corporate world, as well as how the communications and PR industry continues to evolve.
Have you checked out the WWPR Blog?
There, you will find recaps of our monthly professional development seminars, news about upcoming events and insights on communications trends and issues.
Here’s a preview of what you’ll find:
- Instagram vs. Flickr: What has potential for advocacy outreach? By 2012, most organizations in DC have discovered how to have a presence on social media and get their messages out to their key constituencies. But as many legislative battles heat up, the stakes are raised and PR professionals must… READ MORE
Interested in blogging for WWPR in 2012? Members who are interested in contributing are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For the latest information about our exciting events and programs, please visit our Events page.
WWPR members receive member rates for PRSA-NCC and AWC events.
- We’re in the News: Managing a Crisis in Real Time, IABC-DC Metro Chapter – February 9
- Social Media Week, DC – February 13-17
- WIT and WWPR Team Up for February Professional Development and Networking Event, REGISTER NOW and use Promo Code WIT216 – February 16
- Documentary Screening: Miss Representation – March 1
Joining a committee in 2012 is a great way to get involved. Whether you help plan an event, offer your expertise to our pro bono client, or help create our outreach strategy via social media – join one of WWPR’s committees today.
Member Spotlight: Sarah Gershman
by Rebecca Noel
About 7 years ago, Sarah Gershman, president of Green Room Speakers, was in a play in San Francisco directed by an incredibly successful communication skills coach. It hit her: “that is what I want to do with my life.”
Fast-forward a few years and Green Room Speakers, DC-based presentation skills training company, was born from Gershman’s passion in communications. Through group trainings and private coaching, Gershman helps people learn how to craft and deliver masterful presentations. She has coached and trained executives and leadership staff from a wide variety of industries, as well as keeps a speaking advice blog: sarahgershman.blogspot.com.
Gershman is the new committee manager for WWPR’s executive communicators events, where she will be planning speakers geared at seasoned communicators and independent practitioners.
“Helping people fulfill their potential as speakers is such an invaluable skill in any field,” says Gershman. “I love helping people get past their anxiety – and develop their authentic voice. I typically find that the number one reason why people don’t speak effectively is because they are not clear on their content. I help people gain that clarity – and it’s enormously fulfilling.”
- 11 things that annoy journalists and bloggers (Ragan’s PR Daily)
- The Secrets to Successful Strategy Execution: The Idea in Practice (Harvard Business Review)
- State of the Media 2012 (Vocus)
– Tiarra Medley, Porter Novelli
– Jessica Callahan, Stanton Communications
– Ashley Rook, Rational 360
– Rhondalee Dean-Royce, American Veterinary Medical Association
– Bethany Hardy, C. Fox Communication
– Leslie Kimball, The Century Council
– Jessica Lepak, The Century Council
– Shari Myles, GoodGirlPR
– Sarah Coppersmith, Scott Circle Communications
– Carol Stevens, American Bar Association
– Jennifer Bolick, Richfield Productions, Inc.
– Denise Graveline , Don’t Get Caught
– Debbie Friez, Burrelles/Luce/em>
Interested in joining or renewed your membership? Simply complete the online membership form.
To learn more, please contact Leslie Rutledge, Membership Chair, at email@example.com.